Jada Pinkett Smith is among the most well-known named actresses and entertainers in Hollywood. However, we found a couple of facts that we thought were interesting about Pinkett Smith that you just may or may not know about the 44-year-old mother of two.
1. Jada Pinkett-Smith was born in Baltimore, Maryland, on September 18, 1971.
2. She graduated in 1989 from the Baltimore School for the Arts. Tupac Shakur attended the school with her.
3. Smith dropped out of the North Carolina School of Arts after just one year and headed to Hollywood.
4. Her first major role was on the Cosby Show spin-off, A Different World, which aired from 1991 to 1993.
5. She gained widespread recognition after she appeared opposite Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor in 1995.
6. In 1997, she married actor Will Smith. They have two children, Jaden and Willow. The couple founded the Will and Jada Smith Family Foundation, a charity organization that focuses on inner-city youth and family support. The foundation has worked with non-profit organizations like YouthBuild and the Lupus Foundation of America.
7. Some of Pinkett-Smith’s other films include Woo, Force Majeure, Bamboozled, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. Kids know her as the voice of Gloria the Hippo in Madagascar.
8. Pinkett-Smith launched her music career in 2002, when she helped create the metal band Wicked Wisdom, for which she is a singer and songwriter. The band’s self-titled debut album was released on February 21, 2006 in conjunction with Pinkett-Smith production company.
9. In 2004, she starred in Collateral with Tom Cruise, who later recruited her into the Church of Scientology.
10. In 2012, on behalf of PETA, Pinkett Smith wrote a letter to Baltimore’s mayor to ask that the visiting Ringling Brothers Circus “comply with Baltimore’s absolute prohibition of the use of devices such as bullhooks” and not harm the elephants.