Alicia Keys, is an singer, songwriter, pianist and actress. She released her debut album with J Records, although she had previous record deals first with Columbia and then Arista Records.
Here are some other breathtaking facts to know about multi-talented Alicia Keys:
1. Born Alicia Augello Cook in Hell’s Kitchen, Manhattan on January 25, 1981, to Teresa (Augello), a paralegal who was also an occasional actress, and Craig Cook, a flight attendant.
2. Her father is African-American, and her mother, who is Caucasian, is of Italian and English/Irish/Scottish ancestry.
3. Began taking piano lessons at age 6, and proved to be a prodigy which later got her accepted into the prestigious Professional Performance Arts School of Manhattan.
4. Graduated valedictorian of her class at age 16.
5. Accepted by Columbia University at age 16, but dropped out to pursue her music career.
6. Honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. (2004)
7. Has known R&B superstar Beyoncé Knowles since she was 13.
8. Married her boyfriend of 14 months Swizz Beatz in a small ceremony on the French island of Corsica following a 2-month-engagement.
9. Gave birth to her 1st child at age 29, a son named Egypt Daoud Dean on October 14, 2010. Child’s father is her husband, Swizz Beatz.
10. Gave birth to her 2nd child at age 33, a son named Genesis Ali Dean on December 27, 2014. Child’s father is her husband, Swizz Beatz.
11. Keys has won 15 Grammy Awards, 17 NAACP Image Awards, and numerous other awards, and has sold over 35 million albums and 30 million singles worldwide.