Bianca Jasmine Lawson is a film and television actress. She is perhaps best known for her regular roles in the television series Saved by the Bell: The New Class, Goode Behavior, Pretty Little Liars, and Rogue. In 2016, Lawson began starring in the Oprah Winfrey Network drama series, Queen Sugar.
Read on to learn more fascinating facts about Lawson:
1. Lawson was born in Los Angeles, California on March 20, 1979.
2. She is the daughter of Denise Gordy and actor Richard Lawson, making her the step-daughter to Lawson’s second wife Tina Knowles, and step-sister to singers Beyoncé and Solange Knowles.
3. Her ancestry is African-American, Italian, Native American, Portuguese, and Creole.
4. Lawson is also the great-niece of Motown founder Berry Gordy.
5. She attended the Stella Adler Studio of Acting and graduated from Marymount High School, a Catholic school in Los Angeles.
6. Studied film and psychology at University of Southern California.
7. Began acting at the age of nine, having appeared in commercials for Barbie and Revlon.
8. Cast in 1993 in the television series Saved by the Bell: The New Class as series regular Megan Jones.
9. Appeared in multiple episodes of The WB sitcoms Sister, Sister as Rhonda Coley and The Steve Harvey Show as Rosalind.
10. Co-starred in the UPN sitcom Goode Behavior as family sub-title character Bianca Goode, which lasted for just one season in 1996.
11. In 2009, Lawson was cast as Shawna in The Secret Life of the American Teenager. That same year, she was cast in the CW television series The Vampire Diaries, as witch Emily Bennett.
12. Lawson has made appearances in two different television miniseries. In 1998, she appeared in The Temptations as Diana Ross (whom Lawson is related to through Ross’s daughter Rhonda Ross Kendrick); and in 2001, she was cast as Anna Bella Monroe in Anne Rice’s The Feast of All Saints.
13. In 2016, Lawson was cast in the Oprah Winfrey Network drama series, Queen Sugar created by Ava DuVernay.