Jody Watley is an American singer, songwriter, and record producer. Her music crosses genres including pop, R&B, jazz, dance and electronic soul. In 1987, she won the Grammy Award for “Best New Artist,” and has been nominated for 3 Grammy awards.
Read on to learn more about music entertainer Watley:
1.Born in Chicago, Illinois on January 20, 1959.
2.Made her first stage appearance at 8 years old with family friend and godfather Jackie Wilson.
3. Watley got her start on the TV dance show Soul Train at the age of 14. Documented by Ebony magazine in 1977 as a part of “The New Generation,” 4. Jody Watley was one of the most popular on the show and recognized as a trendsetter for her style and dance moves.
5. As popular stand-outs on the television show, Watley and fellow Soul Train dancer Jeffrey Daniel were selected to join Gary Mumford and become original members of the R&B group Shalamar by show creator Don Cornelius.
6. Along with Janet Jackson and Madonna ranks as one of MTV Video Music Awards most nominated female artists ever, with six nominations for her ‘Real Love’ video.
7. In 2008, she was the recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from Billboard magazine.
8. Featured in the historic black issue of Vogue Italia in 2008.
9. Moved to England, and while there she recorded a guest vocal with British Jamaican roots reggae group Musical Youth for their album Different Style.
10. After two and a half years in England, Watley returned to America and secured a recording deal with MCA Records, eager to establish her own identity.
11. At the 30th Annual Grammy Awards in 1988, Watley won the award for Best New Artist, and was nominated for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
12. Watley is the first African-American woman to portray Betty Rizzo in the Broadway revival of “Grease.”
13. Has two children.
14. Founded her own record label, Avitone Records, in 1995.