BY: SHAMSUL ALAM
Education in the formalized setting of classrooms and school districts is still the process of human being teaching other human beings about the world around them. It is surprising in this framework that every situation of the teacher’s and student’s personality and mental make-up factors in the method of education. So matters such as race and class play a part in the way education and it is imparted and absorbed. There 15 ways your race may have affected your education are given below-
- One’s race is a persistent reality that defines the way any one of us approaches life. A teacher may fix out to build students learn the study capacity needed for math in a given class but if the classroom is an economically weak conversation and the worksheets refer to problems with people spending very large quantity on luxury products.
- One’s race is in some sense, serves as a more overt marker and in that sense is probably more likely to be registered in the way it influences education.
- A student of Native American heritage in a middle school social studies classroom is likely to raise issues about the Westward Expansion if he or she has heard a story of their tribe in a different context, for example.
- Although a teacher has to build every effort to teach historical cases with equality, it is not always easy to show to the role of objective observer and personal information are hard to avoid.
- The United States has a rich a colorful history of races coming together and yet, unfortunately, this has not always been a harmonious process. While it is tempting to teach future generations to not dwell on the injustices of the past, this can be unfair to different races.
- Depending on the age level of the children, it is best to deal with the unpleasant aspects of our national history also because otherwise, children from racial minority families may well worry about the shining over of reality.
- The race also affects education in other ways. Very often people from a racial opposition group or a lower income family do not have a family event of higher education to attend.
- If the parents have no approach to education, the child that comes from such a family is not likely to have had anybody read to them or even have had the chance to be exposed to many books.
- As all educators know, this can result in demerits when these children are placed in a class where many other children have had a huge hazard to the written word. They may seem like slow learners even though all it really means is that they are finding a late start.
- The teachers have to be aware of these crucial differences and ensure that these children do not label themselves as weak or poor students.
- A little focused and an encouraging environment help to go a long way in helping disadvantaged students catch up, and this needs to be handled with understanding and sensitivity.
- It makes sense to make teachers resources that cater to various levels and also to have evaluation rubrics that factor in such details.
- While education should ideally be untouched by race, class or gender, it is an unreal expectation. We live in a world defined by these elements and so our educational process should factor these in when the plans are drawn up early in the year
- To not acknowledge the role of race and social class may leave a teacher feeling unprepared even if he or she has meticulous lesson plans.
- The best teacher should have the ability to be responsive to students who are handling with conditions influenced by ethnic differences or proves of social distinction.
Race can really affect your education at any level. So if you aren’t at all concerned about these points, it will destroy your education and negatively impact your life overall.