Yolanda Adams is an American gospel singer, record producer, actress, and former radio host of her own nationally syndicated morning gospel show. Here are a few amazing facts you might not know about Adams.
1. Born Yolanda Yvette Adams in Houston, Texas.
2. Graduated from Sterling High School in Houston in 1979.
3. Began a career as a schoolteacher and part-time model in Houston after graduating from Texas Southern University.
4. Gave up teaching to perform full-time as a lead singer.
5. First attracted the attention of Thomas Whitfield and Sound of Gospel Records as a lead singer with Houston’s Southeast Inspirational Choir affiliated with the Church of God in Christ, under the direction of Carl Preacher, Brenda Waters, and Shirley Joiner.
6. Featured on the Edwin Hawkins Music and Arts Seminar Choir released Give Us Peace, with a performance entitled “My Trust Lies In You in 1986.
7. Signed a recording contract with Sound of Gospel which yielded her first album Just As I Am in 1987.
8. Released a Christmas album, and in 2001 she released a live album (The Experience). The Experience netted Adams a second Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Soul Gospel Album. Believe, which included the hit “Never Give Up” was released in 2001 and reached gold status according to the RIAA.
9. Signed with Columbia Records in 2007. Columbia released What a Wonderful Time, her second holiday collection, in October 2007. “Hold On” was released as the lead single.
10. Won the award for Best Gospel Artist for the 4th time in her career in 2012 at the BET Awards, having won the most since the first BET Awards in 2001.