Colin Rand Kaepernick is a professional football quarterback who is currently a free agent. Kaepernick has gained nationwide attention when he protested “against the treatment of blacks in the United States” by not standing while the United States national anthem was being played before the start of games.
Here are some great inspiring facts about Kaepernick:
1. Kaepernick was born in 1987 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to Heidi Russo, a 19-year-old white woman of Irish and Bohemian descent who was single at the time. His birth father, an African American man, left Russo before Colin was born.
2. His mother put him up for adoption with Rick and Teresa Kaepernick, a white couple who had two children.
3. San Francisco 49ers’ selected him as their fourth pick in the second round of the ‘2011 NFL Draft’. He debuted with the team against ‘Philadelphia Eagles’ on October 2. In his first season as a backup to the team’s starting quarterback Alex Smith, he played three games.
4. He signed a $126 million contract with the 49ers, extending it for six more years on June 4, 2014. The team completed the season with eight wins and eight losses, failing to make it to the playoffs.
5. During the 2016 season, Kaepernick gained nationwide attention when he protested “against the treatment of blacks in the United States” by not standing while the United States national anthem was being played before the start of games.
6. Kaepernick’s controversial behavior prompted a wide variety of responses, which included additional athletes in the NFL and other American sports leagues protesting the anthem in various ways. Following the season’s end, he opted to drop out of his contract with the 49ers to become a free agent.
7. In 2013, Kaepernick led the San Francisco 49ers to an appearance in Super Bowl XLVII.
8. Kaepernick was also a two-time California all-state baseball player and was listed as a draftable prospect on Major League Baseball’s website in the class of 2006. He earned Northern California athlete of the week honors as a pitcher.